Saturday, August 07, 2010

Unsettled and uncomfortable

I'm sitting with Alphabeta, watching Little A squirm everywhere, she turns to me and smiles excitedly. She has something to say.

A: Hey, question. Do you know a guy called P5?
M: P5? I know a guy called P5, I went to design college with him ages ago.. are we talking about the same person? I don't think you are?
A: P5... P6... R6! It's R6! Are you dating a guy called R6?
M: [slightly stunned] vaguely. Why? What's going on? How do you know R6?
A: My sister saw you guys together ages ago, she's friends with R6.
M: She's what now?
A: She said she saw you together and she saw him first and was wondering about his new girlfriend and then she recognised you!
M: Wow. That's um.. um.. wow. I guess they are the same age and in the same area but err.. wow. I'm not his.. wow.
A: So you didn't tell me you were dating! What's going on there? She said to ask you.
M: Nothing's going on there. We're not dating or we are. vaguely. occasionally. I don't know. Your sister knows him???

----

I came out of that lunchdate with a mild case of the heebs. And I drove round and round in circles trying to get rid of that feeling but it wasn't going anywhere. Five hours later, I'm still achey and exposed. And it's stupid because I don't know why. I'm covered in abstract spider webs. Why does them knowing each other bother me so much?

--

On the phone, she says [and she's so worried that I'm falling down that rabbit hole. Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more]

: You know you can always walk away from this situation. You can walk away from any situation. Turn around if it gets too much. No matter what, you have friends and family that love you. You have everything. Nothing is the end of the world.

Mush: And people call me the melodramatic one.

Mexicana: Just know that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!

 
/>