Saturday, August 14, 2010

So many conversations about almost the same thing

"And we don't know how we got into this mad situation
Only doing things out of frustration

Trying to make it work but man these times are hard"
- For the First Time, The Script

--
At the cafe.
Him: So I went on another date..
Me: You went on another date? What do you mean by another date?
Him: Another date.
Me: Meaning there's more than one?? How many dates have you been on lately?
Him: Four.
Me: *squeaks* in two weeks? You've only been broken up for two weeks! That's.. two a week. You're doing well.
Him: I still associate her with everywhere I go
Me: .. sigh.. how're you feeling?
Him: Like shit.
Me: I figure.

Not that I know anything about break-ups [other than long and protracted ones] but I admire his gall and I see his point. You take other people and you slowly flush the old one out by creating new memories, it's a helluva lot more pro-active than staying at home and moping. The end result is still the same though. You're going to feel like shit for a very very long time.

--

On the phone
M: *Upset. My friend just broke up with his girlfriend of nine years. I thought I would call you about it. What do I say?
Me: Er? You're asking me?
M: You would know how to deal with it
Me: .. This is not ever a subject I ever want to be considered an expert on. But you can't really say anything. Nothing that you say can possibly make him feel better.
M: Nothing..?
Me: Nothing. Wait. You didn't tell him to get over it did you?
M: Yeah I did. But in a nice way.
Me: I don't think he wants to hear that.
M: Noted.

--

For some reason now I have a tendency to do my deepest thinking in the morning as I'm going to work. I can have an uninterrupted reverie for a good forty minutes. It's kind of nice.

Mexicana: What are you up to?
Me: Just thinking.
Mexicana: [It's 8:10!] What about?
Me: I'm thinking that what I want from a person is for them to grab me by the shoulders, look me in the eyes and say "a lifetime will never be enough to spend with you."
Mexicana: Wow.
Me: Too much? I think I might be asking for too much.
Mexicana: Are you expecting that exact same phrasing complete with pauses?
Me: No, of course not. Just the base sentiment.
Mexicana: Oh, then that's easy.
Me: It's easy?

---

What I want from you, oh hypothetical you: first and foremost unconstrained passion, an enthusiasm to be with me, sweeping kisses as a greeting, I want your heart to be bruised when I'm not around. I want you to want me. If you exist [and I hope you exist] I'll take my heart out of my pocket for you, I'll never hold it back.

--

Mum: I was talking to your brother and he asked about SB, he didn't realise you'd broken up.
Me: Uh.
Mum: And then he asked about Matty and Hanh. He didn't realise they'd broken up either. I think he's afraid to ask any more questions.
Me: .... Only out of the loop by about a year and a half

--

At the bar
Mxd: I'm a reformed commitmentphobe
Me: How's that?
Mxd: I used to be afraid of commitment, I was burned really bad by a girlfriend who cheated on me.
Me: If you don't mind me asking- you're a reformed commitmentphobe? How do you fix something like that?
Mxd: Actually my ex-girlfriend did it, she was just such a cool person and I trusted her. You just need that trust and now I'm ok.
Me: Well I'm glad you're all good now, but I guess it was something you had to work out by yourself.
Mxd:Are you trying to fix something?
Me: I can't fix a single thing. Myself included, least of all other people.
Mxd: Be as supportive and patient as you can be. But chances are I think you're wasting your time. Is he worth it?

No comments:

 
/>