Monday, May 18, 2009

Racism and noodles

So I'm sitting here with Campbell doing an assignment when I turn to her and say "I'm starving." and she being a mucho good friend says.. I'll go out and get it for you. Do you want chinese?

I look at her and say .. are you sure? Because what I really want is stir fried rice noodles with lamb, vegetarian dumplings, and .. glutinous rice balls..if you want.

And she goes "Sure!" and off she toddles, this blonde haired white girl with a list in her hand. I should have known not to send her by herself into the lion's den of Asian food.

Twenty minutes later she calls me and she's half crying and half laughing

M: what happened?

C: I got there and I told them the list! and they said they have no dumplings! no lamb! and no glutinous balls!

M: .. they said what..? They're a dumpling store.

C: I know! they said they have none of these things and then they pushed a menu in my hand and shoved me out of the restaurant!

M: Omg. Are you serious? They're just being pricks.

C: Why would they do this to me?

M: ... It's because you're white..

C: But there's another western lady who was in there. Oh wait. Hold on. She's also outside with a menu in her hand. Annnnd... on the phone.

M: [!!!] Just leave! We don't want their food! Get something else!

C: Those pricks.

Eventually Campbell went across the street and went into a very nice restaurant with a very nice lady who helped her straight away.

And I'm never going back to that restaurant ever ever. If I put my finger on what bothers me about it the most is that we're a multicultural progressive society where we let every Kumar, Stefano and Ken Wong in, but Ken Wong doesn't want to be part of a multicultural progressive society. But that's the only reason he's here in the first place. Did that make sense? I think my head just exploded with the circularity of it.

All I wanted was noodles- they didn't have to be mean about it.

....

It is 7:39 and I apologise for that entire rant and I apologise to all the Ken Wongs of Australia. Campbell walked into the wrong restaurant. It was not a dumpling restaurant. She's still mad though. And I guess I get to go back to that restaurant? never say never ever!

No comments:

 
/>