Friday, June 04, 2010

Odds and thoughts



I'm sitting with my parents and my uncle and aunty at dinner, when I see a very attractive girl walk past. Her face was perfectly formed to the point where its been reduced to a set of geometric shapes and there's not much movement going on there, I call plastic surgery when I see it.

I poke my mum, "What do you think of her?"

And then my mum looks.

And then my stepdad turns around

And then my uncle surreptiously drops his napkin to the floor.

And my aunty [always the kind one] hisses "What are you all doing?"

My mum stage-whispers across the table [the only person I know who actually stage whispers]
"I think her nose is not God-given!"
My mum is very good at making me laugh when she doesn't mean to.
--

Later on in the dinner, my aunty gets very pissed off at my Dad for his lousy fathering. And I'm surprised by the vehemence of her emotions. I didn't know she had been watching that closely. I guess my mum doesn't feel that she can say these kinds of things because it's not on for her to do so. And I respect her for her restraint. However it's nice to have an authority figure validate what I'm feeling. That it's wrong. And the situation is wrong. And all of it from however many years ago til now has been wrong. wrong. wrong.

--

Now that I am required to Facebook 24/7 at work, I hate Facebook. I don't want to see it again for a week [or seven] .. but how else am I supposed to play Scraaaaable? Damn you Facebook. Facebook: 1. Mush: 0

---

A couple of years ago [actually it might have just been last year] it started bucketing down while I was driving, and it rained so hard that I couldn't see a metre past my windscreen. I couldn't see a thing and I was so terrified out of my brain that I was crying and driving at the same time [that couldn't have helped my vision at all] Anyway I was thinking about it last night because it hasn't stopped raining for two weeks. And I was wondering about how now that I'm a more experienced driver, I would probably be less scared and in hindsight, I was probably a sook.

Well if it was raining hard before, today it was absolutely frigging bucketing. I couldn't see a thing. I was driving through puddles that reached my bumper, I would not have been surprised if my car would have stopped simply because the engine was not built for taking a bath. but I was much less scared and yes, in hindsight I was a complete sook.

[By the way when I stepped out of the car, the water reached my knees. I'm not joking.]

--

Mooncake called me today to tell me she's leaving the country in July [and what the heck is it with people just calling me to tell they're leaving forever in two weeks. Saffron did it (which I'm still not particularly over). Polish did it. Campbell thought it would be better to send me an email so I wouldn't yell at her. I yelled at her anyway.]

Mooncake: I'm leaving the country at the end of July
Mush: You're doing what? You just had a baby two weeks ago. You just bought a house. You just bought a car.
Mooncake: Mr Mooncake doesn't want to stay here anymore. He wants to open a business in China.
Mush: Well what about what you want??
Mooncake: I have no choice la. It's what he wants to do. It's his dream. I love life here, it's so simple and easy.

Ok. I'm not married, so I would have no idea what I would do in this type of situation. Hypothetically, if my man decided to uproot me from my comfortable life while I still had stomach stitches from pushing out his baby, there's a good chance that I would tell him where the cliff is and how he can jump from it. [mmm.. that way.]

I remember a conversation I had with he-who-shall-not-be-named a couple of years ago
..: Would you go with me anywhere if I wanted to pursue my dream?
Mush: Of course! I'd follow you anywhere. Except Orange. Or the Arizona Desert. Do you mind focusing your dreams on a more metropolitan area?

So maybe I just don't have it in me to pull up sticks because someone asks me to. Well okay, I do. But I'd better like you a helluva lot. And it'd better not be to a one horse town in frigging Timbuktu. And definitely not after I just had one of your kids and am cranky and sleep deprived. Wow. So many conditions.

She's not imposing any of these however.. and she just sounds so... unhappy.

--

I'm standing there talking to my neighbour and he's waiting for his friends to pick him up and take him to the airport [How come everyone's going to Hong Kong? My boss, Alv, Eric, my neighbour -what am I missing?] and as he goes to leave, I am about to shoot off my normal travel parting greeting which is:
Haha, don't do anything I wouldn't do!
And just as soon as I remember I don't actually know him that well I stop. So it comes out as
"Don't do- .. oh. Have fun!"
At what point can you actually say that to anyone anyway? Would you have to know them super duper well? If a stranger said that to me, my only polite response would have to be "Well, what do you do?" [And what was your name again..?]

I'm an idiot and I need a new parting greeting when talking to acquaintances who are about to leave the country

No comments:

 
/>