Wednesday, June 09, 2010

The limit to my Hello Kitty love

So I'm not really a brand whore but I don't particularly approve of fake branded products either. I guess it saves you the money but how good can it make you feel to wear Puicy Mouture or Ralph Jauren?

Which is why when we started selling fake Hello Kitty Mousepads, I was slightly disgusted. They brought them to my desk and everyone looked at me and expected me to start clapping like a seal or something.

"Do you want one?"

The front was slightly grubby which was cleanable, but the thing is that calling it a mousepad was a bit of a stretch. It was less like a mousepad and more like a really thin piece of cardboard with a Hello Kitty head on it. I had serious convictions that running a laser mouse on the glossy front would probably make it haywire. Maybe if you went old school and had a mouse with a rollerball?

I don't know how to adequately describe the expression on my face, or the emotions rising in my chest which went something along the lines of.. even an ardent HK fan would not buy this piece of cardboard because firstly it's so fake that they couldn't even be bothered to put an even faker Sanrio label on it and secondly it's a piece of cardboard masquerading as a piece of equipment? I don't know? but I twisted my face into wry amusement and said "No, it's not for me."

Well anyway the designer took a killer photo of it and it looks phenomenal.

Look! Even I would be seduced if I saw it online. And of course people are buying them. So here's the lesson folks:
One: Even there is a limit to my love of all things Hello Kitty. You cannot just slap her head on something and expect me to giggle like a 12 year old school girl
and Secondly, be very very wary of product pictures that you see online. I have a feeling that 14 people are going to receive these in the mail at some point and be like "what. I paid for this. what."

No comments:

 
/>