Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Advantages of being single

I think I may have mentioned sometime ago that I am not really built for being single, I mean some people looove it and go to great lengths to advocate me the benefits of singleness. I don't hate it, I just kind of tolerate it.. like low blood pressure or something. It's just something that's there and it's not something you can actively fix, so you can for the most part ignore it til your stepdad comes around and starts telling you he won't die happy unless you get married in three years time. Uhm.

So here's the thing, I'm kind of evolving into possibly liking the single thing. Did you gasp?

Yesterday morning, I stood in front of the mirror getting ready for work and my hair was atrocious. I was having the worst hair day of all time. My fringe which is normally nice and quite pliable was sitting up Desperately Seeking Susan Style and no amount of pushing was getting it to sit. So I pinned it back off my face. I didn't look like Miss Trunchbull at all. Nuh uh.

All I was missing was the frigging riding crop. As I left the house looking, ironically enough, like one of the most famous spinsters ever- I thought: Thank God, I'm not dating and no-one cares and I can look like Miss Trunchbull. Damn Skippy.

So I get into work and for some reason [low pay, annoying co-workers, no job progression..] I'm cranky. I'm really really fucking cranky. There's a big fat invisible line around me that screams 'Danger. Do not feed the animal.' And I just kind of sat there and stewed. And do you know what? It was great. I didn't have to justify it to anyone. I didn't have to field any phonecalls where I had to pretend to be nice when really all I wanted to do was be all crazy dragonlady [and do you know what happens when you let dragonlady out on a phone call on an unsuspecting boyfriend? That's right. You get in a fight. ] And I didn't have to go home and communicate, the only thing in the world that I had to do was go home and get under the duvet and be pissy for as long as I wanted to.

And that my friends, are as far as I can see -the positives of being single, and just for now I'll take it over hugging and hand holding.

No comments:

 
/>