Monday, January 28, 2013

I've been at home for two days

Hastily cleaned just for you.

I am somewhat going out of my mind from being holed up in my apartment from rain for the last two days.

And then you know, I feel guilty because I have all the comforts of warmth, shelter and internet while I'm sitting here popping blueberries into my mouth and I'm not in a North Korean concentration camp digging ditches, slowly dying of malnutrition. And I'm complaining about rain of all things.

I often wonder what kind of quirk of fate sends one person here and one person there? If my great-great-great-grandfather had decided to walk on the left side of the street instead of the right, (assuming that my existence was somehow a given) would I be sitting in a hacienda in New Mexico instead? or skiing in Canada? or under someone's floorboards in Philadelphia a la Cold Case?

My mum followed my Aunty H here in the 70s because she just didn't want to be separated from her. At the time, Australia wasn't my Aunty H's first choice but for some reason or another, she changed her mind and here we all are... sitting here trying to wait out the rain.

I'm always thinking about what people are doing right now on the other side of the world, like that girl who served me at Aeropostale at Times Square (5:56am) I guess she's about to wake up? Or that pissy concierge from the hotel in Rome (11:52am), is he still standing there frowning pissily at papers? Probably. His is a 24 hour job and the tourists ave all checked out at ten. And then again it's 7:58pm in North Korea, so it's a late dinner for some family in Pyongyang- I can only guess at what they're eating.

No comments:

 
/>