Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Those three words.

Unless I'm hugely distracted or talking to the electricity company, I usually end my phone conversations with 'Love you. Bye!'. If I think about it, I probably tell people I love them more than I actually thank them. And then if I think about it some more, this doesn't stop with people this also goes for inanimate objects. I've been known to profess my love to laptops, Hello Kitty frying pans, Michael Cera on the tv and countless pairs of shoes.

I swear I have more than once told a random stranger I loved them just because they were funny.
RS: How many hipsters does it take to screw in a lightbulb? I couldn't tell you because it's too obscure! Ha! ha!
Mush: Oh my God. ha. ha. ha. ha. I think I love you.

Of course all of this has in its own way served to dilute the message, so when I have to show support for an upset friend, I kind of feel like I have to underline the I love you part in case it wings over their heads.

Mush: Don't be upset. He's a douche. Don't do anything stupid. We love you. You're very important to us. We. love. you.
Friend: What does that mean?! He also said he loves me! Waaaaaaaaaaaah!

I say it flippantly and he says it to get by. The difference is in intent but aren't we both guilty of throwing those three words around like they mean nothing?

No comments:

 
/>