Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Reading, reading


Because I'm constantly applying for online positions, it apparently doesn't make any sense to anyone that I read.. books. As the theory goes, for online to succeed then publishing must fail and vice versa. Actually I don't think I've ever spoken to anyone [besides myself] who believes that the two can simultaneously exist.

And the last thing I want to do in the middle of an interview is stand on my soapbox and proclaim that publishing is not dead and will most likely not be going anywhere within our lifetimes. I say what they want to hear, "Ahem. hypothetical bosses, online is the way of the future, limitless information, social connectability and instant access will kill publishing deader than a doornail. Or something."

But it will never take away the thrill of opening the cover of a new book, of laying in bed and flipping through the pages, of having a book drown out every other piece of outside noise or even the singular satisfaction of hurling a really shitty book across the room. I never say that because I need to pass round one.

I let my guard down a bit last week and I mentioned to an agent that I love to read.

A: Do you?

M: I do. Reading is one of my passions. I just love books . I always have a new one with me all the time.

A: Hahahaha! No need to be that intimate. It's not like your boyfriend or anything.

How can you explain anything to someone like that? You know what they really want to hear is that online is the only way and that publishing is moot.

No comments:

 
/>