Tuesday, December 07, 2010

My hypothetical imaginary sowing machine

So for the past two weeks, other than the obligatory I-am-chasing-something-dream, I've been waking up feeling like I'm missing a sowing machine.

I'm pretty sure I've never owned a sowing machine. So I was bothered by the reoccuring feeling that I had misplaced one somewhere. Sowing machines are relatively big and bulky- you'd be hard pressed to lose them in a move.

So I just kind of filed it in the back of my head, but I was .. befuddled. Every morning.

I was walking around in Ikea with my Aunty L yesterday when she suddenly turned to me and said "Hey, I need your sowing machine to make some cushion covers.. can I borrow it?"
I don't think I'll ever double take like that ever again.
"I don't have a sowing machine."
"Yes you do."
"No, I don't."
She looked a little bemused and exasperated "You do, you bought one ages ago. What happened to it?"
And now I was really spinning out. "Why would I do something like that? .. I really don't remember owning one."

Well who would know better than SB right? The quickest way to get to the bottom of this. I didn't really want to bother him [but what the hell, I'm sure he's used to my randomness by now.] so I fired off a text while we were wandering around the kitchen section.

Mush: Hey, sorry to bother you but I had to ask. I think I had a sowing machine once and then I lent it to someone, do you remember who I lent it to?

Fifteen minutes later
SB: I don't remember that you have a sowing machine. You were thinking of getting one but didn't. If you have one, it's at Aunty L's or with Tatergirl. Sorry, maybe I have a bad memory.
[I can kind of see him giving my msg a deep sigh.]

I turned to L triumphantly. See?! He says I don't have a sowing machine. There's no sowing machine. And there's no sowing machine at your place. I'm just crazy. And uhhh... you're crazy.

L: Oh my God. The two of you have some sort of young person dementia. Ask your mum.

I headdesked at the first available desk. So many of them at Ikea.

Mush: Do I own a sowing machine?
Mum: You did. I think Tatergirl took it. I don't remember the details.
Mush: Wait. She took it? Why would I let her do that? I owned a sowing machine??
Mum: You really should ask her for it back yeah?

L waved her triumphant little flag at this victory, she reassuringly patted me on the shoulder. It's ok. You have really bad memory loss, I'm sure there's medicine for that.

I don't even know where Tatergirl is to ask her for my imaginary sowing machine back. How ridiculous.

He doesn't remember it and I don't remember it, but everyone else does -is that kind of simultaneous repression healthy? I've worked so hard to put everything behind me that in a weird way it's like nothing ever happened at all. I guess you can't really put everything completely away because your subconscious is going to kick up a fuss and sowing machines are going to show up in your dreams.

** Mexicana just said there's no sowing machine! Is there or isn't there one??

No comments:

 
/>