Thursday, July 09, 2009

Sick of black hair! Back to the ganguro style

Isn't she pretty? I do so want to look like her. Le sigh.


So I said to myself at the beginning of the year that I would not touch my hair for the rest of 2009 and I dyed my hair back to the colour black.

I have had black hair for four months, and you know what? I hate it.

I look sick and tired ALL the time. I have to overcompensate with piles and piles of makeup which in turn is making me break out.

I asked Red Bull the other day should I go back to blonde? and the resounding response has been nooooo.. black is so much more classy!

Well no-one is not accusing me of not being classy.. just less classy..

And in case anybody wants to throw around the snide "you wannabe ganguro girl"- I like looking like a ganguro girl. I like blonde hair and hair extensions and sparkly accessories and big socks. I only ever use white eyeliner anyway so suck on that. [Ironically, black eyeliner also makes me look exhausted.]I'm not fond of the orange tan thing but I'm kind of orange anyway so it naturally works.

I find it curious to have to defend how I look- that somehow the blondeness makes me less asian. I'm afraid that the pigment of my hair doesn't affect my ability to hold chopsticks people.

The most common judgment of all is that because I choose to go lighter, I am somehow trying to be more western. This really really annoys me. I am not wanting to model my look on Miley [although she Is pretty. And sixteen.] or Jessica Simpson, I am simply picking a hair colour which is more suitable for my complexion. That's it! It is that simple! There is no deeper sociological experiment going on. Also if I wanted to model my look on a western celebrity- I would certainly be shedding the big bucks on plastic surgery and not just hair bleach.

Of course I get the irony that I want to base my look on a Japanese subculture who want to look less Japanese because they want to rebel against traditional Asian beauty constructs such as white skin and black black hair. Here a construct, there a construct, everywhere a construct. Ha Di Ha.

Anyhow- next week I'm going back to being a blonde. They have more fun.

Itsumo Kawaii.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People are stupid!

As a blonde "westerner" I resent the fact that it is suggested that just because you go blonde means you are DEFYING asian culture! Do it I say! Blondes not only have more fun, they are less likely to get hit by cars as we do, afterall - stop traffic!

Love you mish!!

x Betty

 
/>