Thursday, July 16, 2009

Last day

I finally have the flu that has been going around, so please don't expect a particularly coherent post.

Apparently there is a tsunami alert going on and I have a feeling my apartment [which is on stilts] is going to slide straight into the sea. It serves me right to pick water over the safe middle classness of Chatswood. At least when in any previous houses there was never any chance of me being washed away. I guess if you don't hear from me in a few weeks you'll know my complex turned into an ark. I have wireless- so I guess you'll hear from me anyway [Holy Shit. My sense of humour is so morbid today- blame it on the flu.]

Anyway in addition to this, I have that Nickelback song in my head playing in my head constantly... ahem. 'If today was your last day, would you say goodbye to yesterday?' I love the song, so please props to top40 playlists.

Yesterday [haha, I'm talking about yesterday and the song says.... sigh] I thought I would play that game. If today was my last day, I would:

Spend it with as many people that I love as possible.

I would run a marathon of fricking love.

So I did.

And here is how it went= It started off great and then it kind of veered off into the ditch and then it was okay. But only okay.

In the morning, it was sunny. Sunny! God, you'd think we lived in the Alaskan wilderfields with the amount of heat that we're getting.

I spent most of the daytime window shopping with Betty. Which was awesome. The two of us have quite similar taste and so she'd pick up something and I'd be all "Hey! I was just looking at that!". Shiny sparkly things make me happy. Since it wasn't really my last day- I couldn't very well go ape with the credit card. In all honesty, if it was my last day.. I wouldn't buy clothes cos when the heck am I going to wear them???

So the beginning of the day was fun.

And then I organised a tapas dinner for Red Bull, Campbell and Lucifer. I didn't do this with any misgivings because I thought that Lucifer would be better [I am so naive!] and we're a fun little group generally. Generally.

I should've known it would go awry when Campbell sent me a sms of

:Dinner and drinks?

Me: What. No drinking. Red Bull is driving, I am sick and you know that Lucifer cannot drink.

So we go to the restaurant and everyone is happy and Campbell orders half a litre of sangria. My head does a 360 exorcist headspin. And Lucifer taking his cue, orders a bourbon and coke.

And another one.

And another one.

And another one.

I realise that it's not right to pin all of this on Campbell because she is not responsible for his behaviour, she is not his mum, his girlfriend or whatever. But whatever happened to leading by example. Don't give the alcoholic a loaded gun and needless to say, I was annoyed and mentally decided to stay away from Campbell if I ever have a heroin addiction. I don't like my chances of her not passing me a big fat needle.

So he got louder and more slurry and he was rude to the waitresses. And he kept squeezing my goddamn hands. My poor stupid blistered hands. I was struggling to hold it together by this time and I said as nice as I could "Lucifer, please let go of my hands- they really really really hurt." but he couldn't hear me or didn't want to hear me and he just kept grabbing for them.

The bill came back for two hundred dollars! This of course, was because of two half litre sangrias and seven bourbon and cokes. None of which I drank but still helped to pay for. Bitter what.

Lucifer: How is that two hundred dollars?! That was the worst meal ever for two hundred dollars!

The waitress glares at us.

Me: ..........

Campbell [in a whisper to me]: Oh my God, he's so drunk.

And then I mentally pictured roasting the two of them over a spit.

By this time I was breaking my ankle to get out of the restaurant, and what do you know Coffee is there and he didn't pike! [Well ok, thats not fair- he doesn't answer smses but I've yet to see him pike.] I trip over myself getting into his car.

He looks at me concernedly: Are you ok?

I figure I look a little stressed.

So he takes me back to my car to fix up the metre and there's a penalty on there for parking backwards. Seriously. I didn't even know you could get those.

He's amused at me and I've given up. It's going to be one of those nights. He suggests that I turn my car around.

So I turn it around and as I'm reversing, my car thumps something.

That something is a black lexus.

Oh My God. Nothing about that can be good.

We scramble away and do a runner.

He is doubled over with laughter, 'your car was pushing that lexus backwards!'

No-one believes me when I say my car is a tank.

The rest of the night was fairly uneventful and we just hung out.

See. I don't know if that would be my ideal last day. Granted, I had fun and I love [most] of these people. But there was something a little lacking. There was a lack of giddiness, of bubble wrap stomping and of dancing in the rain type business.

It wasn't.. it wasn't memorable enough for a last day on earth adventure. Ha. Maybe I'll try again next week.

You know I'd spend it with you, if it was.

No comments:

 
/>