Thursday, November 08, 2012

What would you give your ex? Would you give him a liver?

Back again! (see? doing well)

I was going to write something about difficult it is to be friends with a republican. But then I shelved it in favour of this.



 So if your mouse doesn't work and you can't click the link, basically the story is of a Chinese lady who decided to donate a portion of her liver to her ailing ex-husband to save his life.

And because China only allows donation from spouses and blood relatives... they then had to get remarried.

Good for her. There are some really selfless people in the world who will gladly donate body parts to their exes.

But you know if I put my hands behind my head, leaned back on my chair and thought about it, I don't think I would.

 I think that if you're my ex and you've buggered off into the ether and then returned to ask me for my liver. I would briefly admire you for your sheer brazenness but I would still show you where the door is (it's over there!). Seriously, I don't think any of my exes deserve my liver.

On the other hand, you know if I came to a grisly end under a bus (erk) and my 'donations' could save someone, I don't really care where it goes, as long as a) you leave my eyes alone and b) it's not going to a notorious serial killer/paedophile/dictator. So exes, if you're reading this, you may help yourself when I'm dead.

Which brings me to..  doesn't the liver regenerate anyway? Or is that just a Greek myth?


So what would I give my exes (when I'm feeling kind and generous and not bitter)?
There are boundaries everywhere: I would offer them a chip if I was holding a packet of chips.
I would not shout for coffee.
If they were homeless, they would most certainly not be sleeping on my couch but I would gladly point them towards Airbnb.
I wouldn't lend any of them anymore books because frankly no-one ever returns them (and I pet hate it to death) and who knows if they would disappear into the ether again with my book??
 But then if they asked for money, I probably wouldn't begrudge them twenty bucks (hey big spender!)

So in summary: Boys of the past, you may ask me for chips, twenty dollars and directions and that would be about it.

Also if your ex-wife willingly donates you a liver, you might want to think about keeping her.

No comments:

 
/>