Saturday, April 10, 2010

Another tattoo.

So I've been thinking about getting another tattoo for a while. I very purposely have been withholding because my health has been a bit meh this year so it might not be that good a time to stick a needle in me.

Secondly, I have been ridiculously undecided as to what to get and where to put it. And seeing as it's a lifetime commitment, I probably need to think about it a little longer. I don't want to be inking for the sake of inking.

--

Around my group of friends, my Hello Kitty tattoo is somewhat notorious. It occasionally comes up and they pay me out, but for the most part it's a love me, love my tattoo kind of situation. I guess it's lucky in some ways that there's natural acceptance that I am the kind of person that gets a Hello Kitty tattoo. For my part I've never been ashamed of it and I've never regretted that I've gotten it.
However in the outside world, it's a little bit colder than that. And when people I don't know hear of it, they are often ridiculously patronising.

Here's a typical conversation:

Friend 1#: oh Mush has a tattoo!
Acquaintance: Oh, you do! What is it?
Mush: It's a Hello Kitty [waits for it]
Acquaintance : Oh! Really. Ahhaha. That's so Asian. I didn't know you were so Asian. Why didn't you get Bugs Bunny? That's a cartoon too.
Mush: .....

If I had a dollar for everytime I've had that conversation.. I could probably trade in my Civic.

And then there's the head-explodingly judgmental [this is a real conversation btw]

Rose: I heard from ___ that you have a Hello Kitty tattoo.
Mush: Yeah, I do.
Rose: Why?
Mush: Why? It represents how I was feeling at the time.
Rose: [smirks] Don't you regret it?
Mush: Why would I regret it?
Rose: Because it's stupid.
Mush: I don't think it's stupid. And I don't regret it.
Rose: Oh, well you might not regret it now but you'll regret it later.
Mush: ... No, I won't.
Rose: You will.
Mush: I'm not having this conversation anymore.

Yeah, apparently there are people in the working world who talk like that. Like they're still in high school.

--

I'm kind of in love with the finger moustache tattoo actually. And the above pic is one of the best I've ever seen. It's so funny and absurd. I'll let you know if I get it.

No comments:

 
/>