Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas as always

So every year we pack up and traipse to my auntys place. This year was no different.


It's my Christmas Face. Just kidding. That's my everyday face. From now on I'm not smiling for photos.


I've never seen my cousin Matty cry before. We will blame the onions and not his excitement on my return.

My parents started wrapping the presents in front of everyone. That's just silly.

Well not my stepdad. Hee.

I don't know what was going on in this conversation- but everyone looked bored.



Yeah salad! Except that I ate half of it before we started. Oops.


My Aunty Linda bought this toy for my nephew and we all went what the hell is that? It's hideous and then Apple said straight away "Tombly- Boo!" and we all looked at each other and said Tombly-wha? Turns out that it's some kids show that we're all way behind on. [oh, it's Tombliboo. Not Tombly-Boo.. I still think my way is spelt better]

Tombliboo gets introduced to Kuan Yin. That's probably a first.

When my aunty sees and talks to Apple- it's like this light which switches on. I don't know how to explain it any better but you don't see this light very often in people. Most people search the earth looking for this light. And I guess when you find it -everyone around you can recognise it [Forgive me, if that wasn't particularly eloquent but I'm still rubbing sleep from my eyes]

And it's a smile from Sumo! She's perfectly poised in pictures mostly.

Matty teaching Isaac how to strum. Someone is standing behind Matty so he looks like he has a ponytail. He looks like a hippy!

Good cards right? [Those are not my fingers!]


I yelled "Hey! hey! look here!" And then my mum pretended to pore the album and my two aunties kept talking.. so photo. fail.

As I said before it's good to be home. Except of course, the course of break-ups run in sets of fifteen in my family and Sumo has also broken up with her boyfriend Nate. And so everyone was asking her about it, but I think to some degree they were concerned that she was going to start dating a plumber. That's our family motto- love, honour and try not to date a plumber.

Sumo: I don't want a guy that's finished uni! I don't want someone who just looks good on paper. Who cares about family background?

And to this all our heads swivelled towards her picturing her dating Cletus the slack-jawed yokel. And then my stepdad pipes up:
Are you going to be a spinster like Mush?

So my family is Asian and the worst romantic options there could be in life are to adopt a spinster lifestyle like mine or date a Mario/Cletus hybrid. Sometimes I think my stepdad thinks that getting a boyfriend is as easy as buying a bottle of milk. Except that I'm bizarrely hanging out for a bottle of milk which has been pasteurised by Icelandic monks and delivered by hand-trained storks. And so mores the pity that I'm just not going out and buying a bottle of milk or something. Well that's what I think he thinks.

Luckily, my mum comes into save me with: Are you kidding? Pick the right one. You don't want to be stuck with a dud. [Of course, I guess my mum knows a lot about duds]

And then we moved onto more interesting topics. But other than the love life speculation [and do I want to go out with an architect who lives in Melbourne? Give me a few years of spinsterhood and I'll let you know] Did I mention that's it really really good to be home? Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments:

 
/>