Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The word bitch.

Definition of the word bitch as defined by UrbanDictionary.com
1. Annoying and whining female.
2. Female Dog

----

"I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a child, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed"

-Bitch, Meredith Brooks

----

TG: He drives like a bitch.
Me: I'm sorry.. what do you mean by the word bitch?
TG: A female. Not a female dog.
Me: [Can't think of an appropriate reply to counter this misogyny so I just look up at the sky and pray for patience]

----

Calling someone a bitch is for me, a dealbreaker. Calling me a bitch personally will likely be the end of you, because I will have got in my car and run you over with it. I hate the word. And I hate all of its connotations. Feel it out, there is no male equivalent to the word -the closest thing you can probably get to it is bastard, but calling someone a bastard on the road and calling that person a bitch is the difference which will get you a tire iron in the face from a random stranger.

Calling someone a bitch reduces them to something animalistic, something lower than human. And it's a word which implies female. You're lower than human and female. What could be more degrading to call someone? [Which by the way, my actual dog is not that impressed with the human race either so it goes both ways].

I would personally rather be called a cunt then a bitch. I guess that would mean I'm still a body part of some sort, but hell at least, it's more upfront about the sexism.

I get that some women want to take the word back and by normalising it giving it less power. So we get songs and web zines and hell, even I've noticed that it's entering regular speech. We've entered a culture of normalcy where its ok to call someone a bitch. Heads up, it's not okay. If you make it normal then no-one willl think about what it really means, and then effectively we're closing our eyes and nodding ok to public misogyny. It's not okay.

By the way, do not give me an email of words are just words. I am not inferior by definition of my gender and I will never be ok with you implying so.


No comments:

 
/>