Sunday, February 14, 2010

Good Vibrations 2010

**Photoshop still uninstalled. Blah.


So last year Good Vibrations was the mother of all shoddy festivals, I didn't know better. Firstly, I was up the front being squashed like a bottlecap under a four wheel drive. The line-up was .. meh to say the least. And I was not prepared for how rainy it was going to be.

This year I was an army general! I brought a parka, waterproof gym pants, two pairs of socks, garbage bags, a waterproof satchel, and I drove so I wouldn't have to deal with mud and drunken numbnuts on public transport. Oh, and also I wasn't stoopid enough to try and stand up the front.


So this year was so so so so so much better.

And also they had two groups that I really wanted to see..

Salt N Pepa [Get up on this! Na na na naaa na na. Push it real good!]

And Gossip [I heard it through the bassline- how much longer will you be mine baby?]

Yay. I love girlpower.



Salt N Pepa didn't disappoint. I love those three ladies. I was a bit concerned that I would be surrounded by eighteen years who think Salt N Pepa is a food flavouring. However not to worry, everyone that I was standing around knew all the lyrics to Shoop, Whatta man, Push it and Let's Talk about Sex! Just like me! Can I get a w00t yeah! There were some sound quality issues but I think it's because we were off to the side.

And then at the end Pepa asked us if we believe in God, which is really the wrong thing to ask an entire park full of high/drunk adolescents. I wonder if she was offended when people started to wander off.


And then.. and then.. the highlight of the festival. Friggin' Beth Ditto. I say friggin because I can't convey my sense of awe. Other than lady, you are awesome. Please invite me out for a drink so we can sit around with pork rinds, coronas and tell each other dirty jokes. Firstly, I loved her sense of humour, and I loved that she talked to the crowd with the same ease of an over the bar conversation.
Secondly, I am wildly awed by her body confidence, I have never seen anything like it. I have never seen anybody so comfortable with themselves. She just didn't care what anyone else thought -what mattered was that she knew she was beautiful. And not just in a superficial sense. At one point, she ripped off her dress, threw it into the crowd and just sang in her spanx.
Thirdly but not leastly, she really has an amazing set of pipes. So Beth, howsa about that drink?

This guy was dancing like a crazy person, and as he was dancing his pants kept slipping lower and lower. If he hadn't moved away I'm sure he would have danced himself nakey. Speaking of nakedness, there was one smashed guy who lost his pants and was just wearing a t-shirt and tightie whiteys, I didn't notice him until Bel poked me 'That guy is not wearing any pants!" and also there was a gigantic wet patch which indicated he wet himself. He was weaving by himself in a circle and he was liking what he was seeing because OMG something was moving under those wet tighty whiteys. I didn't know whether to point hysterically and laugh or vomit on my gumboots. Of course, the smartest thing was to move away before I did both.

I also saw:
-Two girls expose themselves to Naughty by Nature [The MC yelled "titties!"]
-A girl sleeping in a pool of her own vomit
- Another girl fall off her boyfriends shoulders
And enough regurgitated gozleme to turn me off mashed potatos for life.
[Haha, put like that I am too old for this festival]


Well prepared for the rain with my spare garbage bag!
And at the end of the night. Basement Jaxx who were the most underwhelming band of the day, What no 'Where's your head at?' 'Lola's theme', 'Do your thing' or even Hush Boy? Hell, not even an inclusion of 'Raindrops'?. I say Bah. And everybody around me was noticeably underwhelmed.

Anyway, by the end of the night I resembled a drowned cat but I was a drowned cat in a good mood! I don't know if I'll do it again next year .. maybe if Lady Gaga shows. Anyway Happy Chinese New Year everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
/>