Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Encounters of the strange kind

Mood: Recountable

I met Marian Keyes last night, famed writer of chick-lit. I couldn't say anything but squeak out "It's nice to meet you", she smiled graciously and then said "Blurghblurghblurgh [thick Irish accent]"
"Sorry?"
"It was very nice meeting you too, and I love your necklace, its so cute is it Mickey Mouse?"
"Um.. yes" [Marian Keyes loves my necklace! squee!]
....silence...
"Well it was nice meeting you" [Didn't I already say that??! Oh Gawd]
"Thanks for coming"
[Freak.freak.freak.freak.]

I always thought that I'd be as cool as ice in front of a celebrity. I was wrong. If I ever got to meet him, I think I might vomit on Harrison Fords shoes.

****
At a Lincraft store
Storelady: And he was so rude, I said its six ninety five and he says six!
Friend: So he was trying to bargain you down? How rude.
Storelady: Yes, but in Penrith, its all white australian. In Castle Towers, a lot of them are asian. The first generations are all a bit quiet, but the second generations are all so polite and so nice!
Friend: They're so lovely.
Storelady: And they speak english better than you and me!

Me: [standing there like a beacon, holding the reputation of all second generation asians on my shoulders. enuciating clearly] Hi.
Storelady: Hullo, what can I do for you?
Me: Oh, this please [Starting to sound like a stepford wife, didn't realise I had an New Englander accent]
Storelady: [swipes my card, charges me the wrong amount]Sorry, wrong amount.
Me : [Not glaring as per usual, but nodding politely]okay
Storelady: Here you go.
Me: Thank you ma'am. [Curtseys]

Outside breathing a huge sigh of relief, oh gawd look here you second gneration asian australians! look at the type of stress I go through to uphold our collective reputations! Argh!

No comments:

 
/>