Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Turning into my mother


So I was looking for a dress for this upcoming wedding (not mine of course, der) and I was hemming and hawing over whether I should buy the teal or the red dress.

The reason that I was having a Sophie's choice was because if I bought the red then I'd be breaking the wedding guest cardinal rule: don't wear red and upstage the bride, dummy.
But the teal just didn't look as good.

So finally I broke down and went to the store and asked the salesgirl for the red dress.


Thanks to my ridiculous indecision they only had a size 8 left and no amount of wishful thinking/pushing and squeezing myself into place was going to induce that zipper up and the only other size 10 was alllllllll the way across Sydney. I was going to have to drive a million kilometres to pick up this stupid red dress.

Another sane person would have just bought the teal and been done with it.

So I hauled myself across space and time and peak hour traffic to acquire said garment, I tried it on again in the dressing room and after all that it just didn't look as good, it looked weird. Go figure.

I bought it anyway because of the said blood, sweat and tears drive and when I got to the carpark I pulled it out again to take a look at it.

It was oddly familiar and as I stared at it some more, I realised that the damn thing was a carbon copy of my mother's dress. Her favourite dress that she wore when I was a teenager. Rather hilariously, I didn't have to run cross country to get at it, I could have just dug around at the bottom of her wardrobe.

Don't fight it, you'll turn into them one day and it'll be beyond you how it actually happened.

No comments:

 
/>